Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Glee

Hey guys.  First of all, I'm sorry for not posting for a few days, but these past couple of days have been hectic as hell, to say the least.  I've had quite a bit of homework, and there really was no time for me to do any posts.  I'm glad I'm able to do one today though, since I get off early on Wednesdays.

Now on to the subject at hand.  Maybe some of you are familiar with a television program known as Glee.  Everyone loves this show, and I couldn't figure out for the life of me why.  So I decided to watch an episode.  After a few minutes of skimming through the episode guide, I decided to watch the finale of the first season, "Journey to Regionals".  I still have no idea what the episode was about, plot-wise.  I mean, I sort of do.  I think it was something about being worried that their club was being disbanded.  But they stuck so much bullshit into the episode, that all I could get out of it was a lot of typical high school drama.

Eventually, they played a mash up consisting of a few Journey covers.  I actually listened carefully this time, and paid special attention to how they had everything mixed.  I was actually surprised the guitar work was not sloppy (they changed some of the guitar solos, but it wasn't really that bad), but the signature driving attitude of rock music was lost.  Essentially, on a scale of 1-10, the guitar and the drums were mixed down to a 4, and the vocals were jacked up to a 10 along with the bass.  It was the most uneven mix I'd ever heard.  Maybe because I listen to a lot of rock and metal and I'm not used to pop mixing, but usually when covering a rock song, you still want to capture the essence of what made the song so great in the first place.  Steve Perry was known for his melodic, raw voice that brought forth emotions of hope and resilience.  The Glee cast ended up shoving 10 singers on stage to attempt the song (maybe to them, the more the better).  First of all, an impeccable voice does not naturally make your music good.  It can help, but if you're making music solely to please millions and millions of television viewers, your vocal production will tend to be oversaturated.  I wasn't really feeling the guitar tone either.  It sounded way too polished for Journey.  But, guitar tone is really subjective, so that's just a minor point.

Also, I hope to God that Glee won't ruin My Chemical Romance next week.  Okay, that's just wishful thinking, but I hope that it won't be as horrid as what they did to Journey.  And I'm aware that many of you will hate on me after this post.

Go ahead.  "Come at me bro." (in the words of Jersey Shore)
I do love Jersey Shore.  It's a hell of a show.

1 comment:

  1. Though I am a bit of a fan towards musical, I do agree that musical do sometimes just ruin some songs, but still. It still good to watch, I never have high expectation towards musical or drama production.

    ReplyDelete